Black Lips' Cole Alexander Clarifies Comments About Rap Music

Black Lips' Cole Alexander Clarifies Comments About Rap Music


Yesterday, Black Lips guitarist Cole Alexander caused a stink after an interview with The A.V. Club in which he criticized Drake while expressing his preference for "melodramatic, ignorant rap" and rappers who are "more ghetto and ratchet sounding."


Today, he clarified his comments in an interview with Creative Loafing Atlanta:



I didn't realize my detractors held the stereotype that rap is simply a black thing. That ignorance is just a black thing. I never got that memo. There are plenty of white rappers on the scene singing dumb shit and I love it. Really, trap is just my preference in hip-hop. I don't completely dislike conscious rap. We had the GZA from the Wu-Tang lay a verse on one of our tracks ["Drop I Hold"]. He is, in my book, one of the greatest lyrically conscious rappers of our time. I don't think he would fuck with us if he felt I was racist. Also, those interviews aren't verbatim, but I was trying to explain that I come from an upper middle class neighborhood. So I'm not some artist claiming I have had some crazy struggle. Having said that, from Kindergarten through high school, my public school had the M-to-M program which shipped in inner city black kids, so my school was roughly 50/50 black-white. I used to get my ass kicked by kids from tougher neighborhoods than mine. So I, by no means, was raised up in some sheltered white environment. I also like my rock dumb and evil as well. Just my opinion.



Listen to the Black Lips and GZA's "Drop I Hold" below.










via Jeremy Gordon

No comments:

Post a Comment